Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Clearly Clariton D Free

Well, the fog has cleared!

Monday was a new day. Life moved forward and the calendar showed we were scheduled to take Bridgette to the doctor for her 2-year wellcare visit. Since she has the same family doctor as me, it seemed like a plan worth keeping. Tim drove and off we went.

I'll just say right now, that God knew 6 months ago when I set that appointment that I was going to need to chat with my doctor that day. Often when I'm setting appointments for 6 months out, I ponder what will be the circumstances that surround that season. Back in October, I surely never would have guessed "recovering from a patch to a 3cm hole", but I'm learning that life is clearly not as predictable as we make it seem.

The best part of Monday was waking up without needing to take allergy medicine. My head was not "floating", my nose was not running away, and my sinuses were not aching. All you allergy sufferers know what a joy that relief is! We went to Bridgette's appointment, which she passed with flying colors. She's now up to 15% for weight (which means she's heavier than only 15 out of 100 2-year olds), 75% for height & head size and her iron has climbed to 11.2....right on track for my tall/thin kiddos. She's also saying lots of words clearly, steps, throws, jumps, and runs. We weren't able to brag that she can do all these with and without a temper. :)

Naturally, my compassionate doctor asked about my recovery and I updated her on the latest happenings. And when I asked her about my struggle on Sunday, she said, "Oh, you don't want anything with a decongestant in it. Clariton is fine, but not Clariton D. It will make your heart speed up." My initial response was rather calm. Thankful to have some professional direction. But as the day wore on, I was thinking,

"What? That would be 'PERTINANT INFORMATION'!!! Wasn't someone going to mention this? HEL-LOOOH! We're talking about my HEART!!"

We had even checked twice just to be on the cautious side. First, I asked a nurse as we were going through discharge instructions before being released on Saturday. I had no symptoms at the time, but just wanted to be thorough in case the need would arise. She said, "Clariton? No problem." Then, on Sunday morning, upon feeling like I had been hit by a mac truck, Tim called the pharmacy just to make sure. The Plavix meds say to contact them before combining with other drugs (probably a default line on all drugs really) and we are cautious people who don't try to bend rules or take risks with little pills. Tim said he was very specific with them stating that he had Clariton D. Obviously, no one thought to warn us. I have to wonder if that's because most 33 yr old women don't have ASD issues, but who knows. Well, I'm glad you asked! I serve a God that knows all my medical history. Every detail was planned before I took my first breath. He knows how I'm doing, what I need to do, and what I need to leave for others to do. What a peace I feel in knowing He has "hemmed me in".

So the latest update is that I feel much better. I am now 2 days away from Sunday and my head is pretty clear. I find that I need to avoid doing anything suddenly. My head feels a little fuzzy if I've been laying or sitting and I get up to do something. This is a typical side effect from the Plavix that I think I'll adjust to. We'll see. Either way, I've not been fighting the allergy issues, so that's a big weight off my chest. Seriously!

No comments: