
Last night brought a first for me. The first time I collected jerseys at the end of a sports season. As with many firsts, it taught me something. Clean is relative. Jerseys and corresponding apparel are no exception. This photo will due to represent the millions of "shared" jerseys being used across America.
Prior to this collection process I gave no thought to the "germ count" on newly issued sports apparel. Yes, I was aware that the articles had previously been worn. I was also conscious of the vast variety of laundry habits. I could blame this oversight on the fact that all our previous activities included newly purchased t-shirts that immediately became ours for good. It just never occurred to me, and I will not overanalyze.
I will also refrain from grossing anyone out with a description of the various kinds of grass, dirt, hair, & lint that clung to some of the items. As I marked names off a list, I found myself more delighted that I had received the apparel, than what condition it was in. In the intensity of marking off the correct team member, I gave no concious thought to which of them gave it to me wadded vs. folded vs. protected in a bag. Only later as I folded 50 pairs of sweatpants, did I realize I should really wash my hands before I joined the pizza party.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not too good for used or "shared" apparel. It is very appropriate for keeping costs low for organized activites of all kinds. Next time, however, you'll hear me say, "Nice jersey, Teagan! Why don't you wash it up with a couple towels, so it will be ready for you to wear for your first event?"

No comments:
Post a Comment