Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wow! Time has flown. Life is hard to keep up with and my hobbies seem to be the first to go on "Hold".

Bummed! The day after my last post, I had another migraine headache! Ugh! Here I thought they were over since I'd gone 2 weeks since the last. Ugh! We cancelled the kids' library obligations and called Grandma for help. After a 3 hour nap, I felt better and the kids came back home. So inconvenient. Such a bummer for my kids who had done their chores SO faithfully that morning. Such a blow to my momentum of getting our household caught up. Yes, I was quite discouraged!

My precious husband, called Dr. Pizlo and together they decided to have me go back on Plavix (the one that caused bruising). Now 3 1/2 weeks later, I've only had 2 headaches that were "managable" and a bit less dizziness when I get out of bed in the morning. (I won't miss that after October!) Right now it seems that it's just a matter of waiting. I do have about 5 bruises on my arms and legs, but they cause no pain and are much easier to endure than migraines. Ultimately, I think a tan will be my best way of dealing with them. :)

Follow-up.... On Monday, June 16th, I had my follow-up appt with Dr Hoyer at Riley. The echo and chest x-ray both looked great. I also took Teagan, Erica, & Titus to meet Dr Hoyer since he was so instrumental in fixing my heart. This has been a big deal for our whole family and I knew they would appreciate being able to put a face with the name.

Dr Hoyer was able to show them a sample of the occluder that is now in my heart. Teagan was TOTALLY fascinated by that. (Hmm...a little engineer??) He also showed all of us the 2 pics from the chest x-ray showing little white dots were the occluder is sitting. I really appreciate the time he took with us each time I've met him. I know he was paid handsomely for his work, but his willingness to answer our questions thoroughly made it easier to see that he earns everything he makes.

Relief. Coming home, I realized that hearing such good news really helped me relax about my recovery. Not only, did Dr Hoyer remove any restrictions I had (lifting & running/exercise) but just having him see that the progress was going well, made me feel more "normal". At this point I'll stay on the Plavix for 2 more months and then go to 325mg aspirin. He doesn't think I'll get the migraines later on because I'll be farther along in the healing process. We'll see. I assured him that his email box would be full if I ended up with those again. :)

Well, this blog is more boring and factual than most I enjoy writing. Perhaps we can move on to more interesting things now that I've been given the green light to "carry on with life as normal". Whatever that is!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill,
Just wanted to let you know that I stopped by here to check on you today. Sorry you have had a bit of discomfort with recovering but glad that it has not been much. I wanted you know that I still think about you and all this situation. And I am happy to pray for you too.
Love, Heather Duling

Jewel said...

That's awesome that you got the go ahead signal from your dr.! Praise God!